Masks are one of the most requested design choices, covering more of the face than a small cheek art design and less of it than a full face design. Since the main portion of the design is around the eye area, at parties masks especially popular for parents who want their children to be face painted, but to not have to worry about the design being ruined while eating. For children who are old enough to want something wintry and fun, but are young enough that they don’t want anything right around their eyes, this penguin mask is an excellent option.
1. Begin by loading your sponge with light blue and sponging it over the top of the forehead for the background color.
2. With your #5 round brush, make two eggs shapes for the eyes. Below this, use the TAG orange and the same brush to make the beak shape. (I chose TAG for this color because it’s a brighter orange.)
3. Use the #2 round brush and white to draw out the shape of the stocking cap above the eyes. Since you’ll be using red to color this in, until you’ve painted this designs a few times, it’s easier to create guidelines first.
4. Block in the colors for the penguin and it’s cap with the #5 round brush. For the black of the penguin, make a half circle which comes down from the stocking cap and curves to the outside of the eyebrows. After the body of the penguin is in place, add the arms on the sides.
5. Add black outlines to the mouth and hat for the penguin with a small round brush. After the outlines are in place, add some white highlights to the cap and penguin. As a final touch, put some white dots and snowflakes in the background.
If you want to change the look of the penguin a little, you can give it blue eyes, change out the color of the stocking cap, or event add some candy canes for the penguin to hold. Have fun with it!
Share this post
- Tags: arctic, Barrington, Bartlett, Beth MacKinney, boy design, Chicago, christmas, cold, design, Design Ideas, Elgin, Eye design, face paint, face painter, face painting, Geneva, Gilberts, girl design, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, Illinois, mask, penguin, Pingree Grove, polar, Schaumburg, snow, winter, wintry design