We’ve all heard the saying before and dressing for success still matters today. What you wear affects your confidence and attitude, both important when it comes to your face painting business. When we make an effort to dress for success, we are showing current and prospective clients that we care about what we are doing.
Dressing the part is an important part of your brand and you owe it to yourself to make that extra effort to look the part. Luckily, it doesn’t take an expensive wardrobe to help bring your business to the next level. There are simple things you can do to create a look that is you without breaking your pocketbook.
Here are some easy examples of ways to look more professional to prospective clients:
- Create a uniform that works for you.
- You can simply choose a pair of dark pants or jeans and a button up shirt. Something as simple as getting your name and business name embroidered on your shirt can do a lot to make you look more professional. Embroidery usually starts around $10.
- Be neat and clean
- This one is easy and you should already be practicing it. Personally, there are times when I struggle with keeping my hands clean of paint, especially if I’ve been painting all day. I just give my best effort to show that I care about my appearance.
- Use professional equipment
- This is another great way to show that you are a serious professional. While we all would love to have a craft n go carrier and the like, not all of us have $300+ to spend. I recommend using a case that is inexpensive, easy to carry and can be easily cleaned. There are some great scrapbooking cases that don’t cost a lot. I also make sure to bring my own trash container and a water container that can be closed so I can just pack up and take everything with me. I like to have everything I need so I never have to ask my client for anything.
- Arrive early
- In my opinion, on time is late. You always need time to set up your gear before it’s time to paint. This also give you time to tackle any problems that might happen during setup.
- This should probably be moved to the top of the list. A smile is the most important thing you can wear. I’ve observed many events with multiple face painters and the person that is the nicest and smiles, has the most satisfied customers.
- Have a great attitude
- If you’ve had a bad day, don’t let it show through to your work. As hard as that can be at times, it’s an important part of being professional.
I hope these tips are able to help you. Personally, I noticed a huge difference in the way my clients and their guests treated me and perceived me after I made a simple wardrobe change.
Please share your ideas with us on Facebook. Remember… we want to hear from you so let us know what you’d like to see in future blogs.
Until next time… Live, Love, Paint.
Stacey Perry, aka Sistahmatic! is the owner of and primary face painter for Peekaboo Faces by Play and Learn With Me located in Lafayette, Louisiana. Stacey also blogs for halloweenmakeup.com
You can view her artist website at www.sistahmatic.com